Falling off a cliff..

I slipped on the edge and fell off the cliff. My sorroundings zoomed and passed by me in flashes as I rolled over tumbling to the chasm below. I struggled, swinging my arms and legs desperately hoping against hope that I would strike something that would stop me. I took bumps on my knees and my head occassionally bounced off the rocks. I tried to grasp the rock with my bare hands but was no match against the mighty pull of the gravity sucking me to its pit. As I approached the end of the chasm, I realized there were a lot of things yet to be done and the worst would be to give up trying. Twigs and branches snapped off as I tried to hold on to them and I rolled on continuing to fall. There was a sudden pain on my left wrist and a searing pain rushed through my body in a flash. Everything was numb then. There was no pain, I wasn't feeling anything. Instinctively I stretched my right hand and grabbed the branch with both hands as I clung to it with my dear life.

I tried to lift my head above to see how low I had fallen and could only see the clear blue sky. I shifted my sight below and could see the never ending stretch of the barren rock heading towards the chasm. I moved my head around and could only see the barren rock stretched on my sides. I was dangling by a branch that swayed around dangerously in the middle of nowhere with the deep dark chasm below. I could hear the birds chirp and animals roar in joy. Even those in wild were mocking my fate. There was an eagle soaring by in the majestic blue sky. I was at my nadir but still alive. I tried to move my legs and searched for a wedge to rest them but the whole body burnt in agonizing pain.

I felt for a moment that it would be easier to just let go off the branch and bring an end to this wretched life. The thought of leaving behind the ordeal with such a simple act as letting go off that branch and embracing death was very tempting but a big question loomed over my head. What if? What if I don't die instantly? What if I land and just end up breaking all of my bones? What if I end up paralysed in the mysterious valley beneath with insects, mice and those wild animals crawled all over my body feeding off me while I am still breathing, still alive? That mere thought sent shivers down my spine. I had to try every bit till I had one last breath left in me. The scary 'what if' forced me to search that wedge even more frantically. There it was!

As I rested my leg on it and inched my way up, I saw more of those cracks and wedges that would help me climb up. All I needed was patience, perseverance, dedication, self-belief and not giving up. The journey was to be a very difficult one (putting it mildly) and too slow but being in the nadir helped in its own way. I was heading in only one direction and that was upwards. Every inch I gained was an inch away from the pit, away from my nadir. I was severely beaten, battered and bruised. There were bumps on my head and knees and some bones were broken too. There were cuts all over my body. Some mere scratches while some were nasty and deep. Some wounds would go unnoticed while some would leave indelible scars. But they would heal, that I was sure of. Nothing beats time, when it comes to healing, let them be wounds or memories, no matter how bad or nasty they are. I don't how long it took me. I couldn't count them in hours, days or months. I would rather say, it was a significant period but I was finally out on the top, away from the chasm. I had overcome a hurdle. It just felt good to be back on top. Nothing to hold on, to keep me from falling. It felt good to just lie down and stretch my legs and arms as I pleased. It felt good to have the sun's rays kiss my face. It felt as if I had my head on my mom's lap as she stroked my face and put me off to sleep.

Today as I stand on that very edge and look down upon the mysterious chasm below, it brings a smile on my face and a joy that I am alive. A happiness that knows no bounds. How strange it is that the memories of the moment that made you cry, brings a smile to your face and the moment that brought joy, moists your eyes today. As I stand on the edge of the cliff today, neither am I frightened to hit another rock bottom nor am I arrogant and brash that I won't stumble ever again. I am a little more careful and watch my steps. No matter how adventurous I get, I make sure that I take necessary safety precautions. Before I take risks I ensure that the gains are worth the risks. Having said all of that, no matter how careful I am, I can't stop following my heart. No matter how many times I am dumped, I can't stop falling in love. No matter how many times I fail, I can't stop trying. No matter how many times I am betrayed upon, I can't stop trusting. No matter how many times I have tripped over and fallen, I can't stop rising up and walking again. I would rather be dead than not follow my heart.

Comments

K said…
Thanks for great reflections and excellent storytelling Nabin!
Prixya said…
It is a great one. Keeps the readers grasped though the first part of the story was really scary. I dreamt of falling over a cliff the other day. Loved your metaphor. Keep up the good work ! - Prixya
Prixya said…
Great one. Loved the metaphor. Really grasping. I dreamt of falling over a cliff the other day except that I was in a car and nothing to hold onto. Really scary.
Anonymous said…
its amazing...you should be a writer honey...i am really touched by the last lines where you have mentioned that nomatter how life treats you, you are going to keep on doing your thing ...its beautiful just like your soul...love you

Popular posts from this blog

Monday Blues????

Offbeat...